The majority of my clients are children and their parents. Many parents I work with arrive at my office filled with parenting stress fueled by the worry that their child’s behaviors will continue to get worse. Or they are confused how they could feel so successful raising one child, and ineffective with another. I can help you remove the guesswork from your interactions with your child.
I specialize in the treatment of child anxiety and related disorders. These may manifest in various ways:
- Excessive worry about different things
- Excessive fear about specific things, situations, or events.
- Physical manifestation of anxiety (headaches, upset stomach)
- Ritualistic behaviors or obsessions
- Recurrent hair pulling
- Motor or vocal tics (blinking, repeating words, etc.)
Regardless of the form, these worries, fears, obsessions, and behaviors are hard to control, interfere with life, and certainly interfere with being a child!
The descriptions above are incredibly simplified. You can find more information about childhood anxiety disorders here.
Your child’s worry may be normal. Your child may grow out of it. Depending on the symptoms, it may even be likely! Our first appointments will be devoted to information gathering, answering any questions you have, and outlining what treatment with me would entail, should it be indicated. You can get a preview of my treatment approach here.
I additionally specialize in working with parents of children with a range of symptoms including:
- Refusal to follow rules and requests
- Temper tantrums
- Aggressive or destructive behaviors
You can get a sense of my treatment approach here.